Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Ain't no easy battle...

Yesterday I decided to take a break and go back over the eighty or so blogs I found interesting and literally fascinating to see what they've since posted. Two things happened: One, a lot of them wouldn't google up and, two, some had changed their slant so much their creativity had nearly dissappeared. One of the more literate ('literate' in this sense meaning 'easy to read', not 'grammatically' correct--much like good fiction) threw me for a loop. Most of the bloggers who had something to say on my first go-around, I commented on, usually encouraging them to write for the market. This particular blogger had decided to write a short story (fiction) and then publish it on his blog. It was better than good and I was wondered why he hadn't tried to market it.
I believe I said it before, but I'll say it again: as a former columnist I like to blog for warm up for the rest of the writing day (in my case, my second novel)...kind of like stretching before the race. A lot of this particular blogger's essays are rants, but they're interesting and easy reading. His 'short story' was the same and should have been submitted somewhere for publication, whether it be a magazine (a slim market for fiction, I realize) a contest or perhaps an anthology. Then again, I might be making an unfounded assumption that he really wants to be a marketable writer. This seems rather strange, considering he is almost an everyday blogger. Then maybe he just doesn't want to do battle with the publishing world...and that ain't no easy battle. But that leads me to wonder what his motivations are: his rants are about how he hates his job, hates his life, etc. (common blogging fodder). He seems to have all the makings, and talent, of a writing life. Why doesn't he want to market? It seems like such a waste of literary talent...but there seems to be an abundance of that in blogdom.

4 Comments:

Blogger mojoala said...

ah, I have found you.

Am I one of those mentioned?

I am neither Liberal or Conservative. I am something in between. Either a Liberal Conservative or a Conservative Liberal.

It depends on the mood and the swing.

Have a good day fellow Alabamian!

3:43 PM  
Blogger mojoala said...

so has google sent you any money yet for the advertising?

3:54 PM  
Blogger porchwise said...

No, you're not the one. I found your short story also good but you explained you'd already tried to market it. Marketing in this day and age, like I said, is rough. My mood swings are like yours also and the right mouth can swing it quick.
No, no check yet but I don't expect it'll be enough to buy a cup of coffee.

1:01 PM  
Blogger mojoala said...

just a cup of coffee?

gee....

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home